Monday, March 1, 2010

Owl City from powerofpop.com

OWL CITY Ocean Eyes (Universal Republic)

“I despair of the mainstream in 2010.

Sure, I can understand the rappers and Lady Gaga and how they figure in the grand scheme of things. But not Owl City.

I mean is this guy for real? The press releases try to paint him as the great white hope of indie pop. The fact is Owl City is as mainstream as they come. With auto-tuned, pre-fabricated crap that just happens to be presented in electronic format and suddenly this guy is “synth-pop”?

His sanitized vocals annoy the hell out of me, with every electronic sound so clean and perfect, this is how synth-pop would sound like if it went Disney!

So this is the mainstream’s answer to “indie-pop”? Emasculated and soul-less, saccharine and dumb? I guess so…

Sure, its popular and commercial, which is fine with me. Just ease up on the hyperbole. As long as you can ignore the awesome electronic music that has come before, you can put this on and pretend that Owl City is the absolute bee’s knees.

Me? I’ll be listening to my New Order singles compilation.”

I couldn’t agree more. This guy’s vocals annoy me like hell, there’s no way that’s considered real synth-pop, just cos’ he uses a hell lotta auto-tune and a bunch of electronic stuff. Gosh, seriously, what’s with the world nowadays?

No comments: