Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Go! Team

 

 

 

 

 

I saw The Go! Team last night at Esplanade Theatre Studio (Heineken Music Club)! Yep I went alone, cos’ there’s no one I know that knows this band, and most Singaporeans are boring in that they would never pay a reasonable amount of money just to check out a band that’s interesting. The only song I sorta know is Huddle Formation, but I don’t even know the lyrics. But I went to see how they play live, and how they are on a stage. And they are REALLY good. Really unpredictable, unexpected. Two drummers at all times, a banjo, recorder (yes those that we play in primary school), a harmonica… Can’t classify any of them as vocalists/drummers/guitarists cos’ they’re all vocalists, drummers and guitarists, and sometimes bassists and keyboardists. Talk about a versatile band. Well if you want me to put a label to their music, I would describe them as indie hip-hop. Which already seems like an oxymoron cos’ indie and hip-hop don’t go together. Indie fans usually despise hip-hop/R&B (me included). But they’re good. The rapping goes together. And I really wouldn’t call it rapping, its more like singing/speaking. And the frontwoman is FREAKIN’ AWESOME. Her stage energy is amazing and infectious. And they work up the crowd pretty good too!

They had an autograph session after that, and they were really nice. I managed to get a copy of their first album there (second album sold out) so I got them to “sign” it. I put “” because most of them didn’t exactly sign it. They drew pictures. And some lucky people got the setlist from that night, cos’ some roadie randomly gave it out. All in all it was a pretty good gig, crowd was pretty good, and it was fun. Priced at $43, a perfectly reasonable price considering there’s one free drink.

Hope I can spread the word around about this really good band.

No comments: